New images of a nearby dwarf galaxy have revealed a dense stream of stars in its outer regions, the remains of an even smaller companion galaxy in the process of merging with its host. The host galaxy, known as NGC 4449, is the smallest primary galaxy in which a stellar stream from an ongoing merger has been identified and studied in detail.
- New images capture 'stealth merger' of dwarf galaxiesWed, 8 Feb 2012, 15:38:08 EST
- 4 unusual views of the Andromeda GalaxyThu, 21 Jul 2011, 6:08:06 EDT
- Merging galaxies create a binary quasarWed, 3 Feb 2010, 13:43:56 EST
- New recipe for dwarf galaxies: Start with leftover gasWed, 18 Feb 2009, 14:42:44 EST
- When galaxies eat galaxiesFri, 12 Oct 2012, 9:06:39 EDT