Geologists have found evidence that some 55 million years ago a river as big as the modern Colorado flowed through Arizona into Utah in the opposite direction from the present-day river. They have named this ancient northeastward-flowing river the California River, after its inferred source in the Mojave region of southern California.
- Ancient Colorado river flowed backwardsMon, 4 Oct 2010, 10:34:45 EDT
- NASA-funded study shows desert dust cuts Colorado River flowTue, 21 Sep 2010, 9:08:50 EDT
- Smaller Colorado River projected for coming decades, study saysSun, 23 Dec 2012, 16:34:29 EST
- NASA study shows desert dust cuts Colorado River flowTue, 21 Sep 2010, 9:08:52 EDT
- Most river flows across the US are altered by land and water managementWed, 3 Nov 2010, 11:35:32 EDT