While general relativity describes well the behavior of the solar system, Einstein's theory of gravity and spacetime has not been tested on cosmological scales. Now, a team has analyzed data on 70,000 galaxies to show that the theory is so far the best description of the universe, at least out to 3.5 billion light years from Earth. Specifically, theories without dark matter do not fit the observations.
- Galaxy study validates general relativity on cosmic scale, existence of dark matterWed, 10 Mar 2010, 13:30:53 EST
- Princeton scientists say Einstein's theory applies beyond the solar systemFri, 12 Mar 2010, 12:18:32 EST
- New research resolves conflict in theory of how galaxies formWed, 13 Jan 2010, 13:32:27 EST
- Foiling an attack on general relativityFri, 12 Mar 2010, 15:28:44 EST
- Light from galaxy clusters confirm theory of relativity Wed, 28 Sep 2011, 14:37:28 EDT