Severe obesity can pose special challenges, including cardiac risks, in patients undergoing surgery; healthcare providers must carefully evaluate those risks and not underestimate them. The risk of a cardiac event before, during or after surgery in obese patients is related to the type and severity of their heart's condition, as well as other health conditions and the type of surgery they are having.
- Severe obesity increases risks of health problems during surgeryMon, 15 Jun 2009, 16:43:39 EDT
- Obesity not always protective following surgeryMon, 18 Apr 2011, 11:34:14 EDT
- Benefits of bariatric surgery may outweigh risks for severely obeseMon, 14 Mar 2011, 17:07:00 EDT
- Weight-loss surgery lowers risk of pregnancy complications in obese womenWed, 14 Apr 2010, 5:51:00 EDT
- Model estimates risks and benefits of bariatric surgery for severely obeseMon, 18 Jan 2010, 16:37:34 EST