The car-sized asteroid that exploded above the Nubian Desert last October was the first instance of an asteroid spotted in space before falling to Earth. Researchers rushed to collect the resulting meteorite debris, and a new study reports on this first-ever opportunity to calibrate telescopic observations of a known asteroid with laboratory analyses of its fragments.
- Asteroid impact helps trace meteorite originsWed, 25 Mar 2009, 14:22:30 EDT
- Meteorite just one piece of an unknown celestial bodyWed, 15 Dec 2010, 15:42:19 EST
- Discovery of the source of the most common meteoritesThu, 10 Jul 2008, 11:23:29 EDT
- MIT: New research suggests that near-Earth encounters can 'shake' asteroidsWed, 20 Jan 2010, 13:27:37 EST
- UK astronomers observe asteroid before it crashes into EarthThu, 26 Mar 2009, 9:26:38 EDT