Previous attempts to use viruses to carry a normal gene into cystic fibrosis patients and cure their illness have failed because the immune system mopped them up too quickly or the viruses didn't infect enough lung cells to deliver the new gene.Scientists have developed a technique to force viruses to evolve as better gene therapy carriers, and tests at U-Iowa show that the virus can completely cure CF in tissue culture.
- Boosting its infectivity turns benign virus into good gene therapy carrier for cystic fibrosisMon, 16 Feb 2009, 17:49:58 EST
- Common cold virus efficiently delivers corrected gene to cystic fibrosis cellsMon, 20 Jul 2009, 20:43:08 EDT
- New test promises quicker, more accurate evaluation for cystic fibrosis patientsFri, 24 Oct 2008, 6:08:49 EDT
- The cellular intricacies of cystic fibrosisMon, 19 Sep 2011, 11:35:58 EDT
- Scientists find gene that modifies severity of cystic fibrosis lung diseaseWed, 25 Feb 2009, 13:42:17 EST