The economy isn't just squeezing the middle class on land, it's also affecting fish. Overfishing on coral reefs isn't simply caused by too many people. Rather, researchers found that the biomass of fish found on coral reefs in the western Indian Ocean depended mostly on the complexity of the reefs themselves and the socioeconomic status of the people living on the shores.
- Rise or fall of reef fish driven by both economy and ecologyMon, 9 Feb 2009, 19:17:08 EST
- Study says 'middle class' coral reef fish feel the economic squeezeTue, 10 Feb 2009, 11:56:47 EST
- Tracking fish through a coral reef seascapeTue, 4 Sep 2012, 11:08:41 EDT
- Extinction predictor 'will help protect coral reefs'Tue, 15 Feb 2011, 10:02:30 EST
- Lessons in coral reef survival from deep timeMon, 23 Jan 2012, 13:05:56 EST