Researchers have determined the structure of a protein which is encoded by a parasitic genetic element and which is responsible for its mobility. The so-called LINE-1 retrotransposon is a mobile genetic element that can multiply and insert itself into chromosomal DNA at many different locations. Researchers say that there would be very few human genes that have not been affected in the past by the integration of a LINE-1 or Alu element.
- Parasites ready to jumpFri, 31 Jul 2009, 13:24:22 EDT
- New research about human genetic diseases and human developmentThu, 29 Apr 2010, 9:56:44 EDT
- New research shows how gene function drives natural selection in important class of genetic elementsWed, 10 Dec 2008, 11:51:02 EST
- Mobile DNA elements in woolly mammoth genome give new clues to mammalian evolutionMon, 8 Jun 2009, 17:44:15 EDT
- Scientists find genetic basis for key parasite function in malariaThu, 26 May 2011, 22:43:28 EDT