Physicists have found a way to extend the quantum lifetime of electrons by more than 5,000 per cent. Electrons exhibit a property called 'spin' and work like tiny magnets which can point up, down or a quantum superposition of both. The state of the spin can be used to store information and so by extending their life the research provides a significant step towards building a usable quantum computer.
- Putting a new spin on current researchFri, 14 Nov 2008, 19:28:41 EST
- New record for information storage and retrieval lifetime advances quantum networksSun, 7 Dec 2008, 13:36:49 EST
- UCSB physicists move 1 step closer to quantum computingFri, 20 Nov 2009, 8:56:51 EST
- Physicists find way to control individual bits in quantum computersTue, 7 Jul 2009, 10:43:59 EDT
- Computer memory takes a spinThu, 16 Dec 2010, 14:53:47 EST