Efforts to harness the energy potential of Earth's ocean winds could soon gain an important new tool: global satellite maps from NASA. Scientists have been creating maps using nearly a decade of data from NASA's QuikSCAT satellite that reveal ocean areas where winds could produce wind energy. The new maps have many potential uses including planning the location of offshore wind farms to convert wind energy into electric energy.
- Enough wind to power global energy demandSun, 9 Sep 2012, 16:02:58 EDT
- Environmental scientists estimate that China could meet its entire future energy needs by wind aloneThu, 10 Sep 2009, 14:30:14 EDT
- New findings about wind farms could lead to expanding their useTue, 5 Oct 2010, 12:34:14 EDT
- Answers to huge wind-farm problems are blowin' in the windTue, 16 Dec 2008, 10:14:32 EST
- Global warming reduces available wind energyTue, 9 Nov 2010, 9:32:09 EST