From previous research projects, Professor Andre Freiwald, head of the marine research department (Senckenberg am Meer, Wilhelmshaven) already had an idea of the extent of the cold water coral bank which, on the basis of previous knowledge, was located unusually far to the south. Now the Senckenberg scientist reports from on board the Maria S. Merian research ship that the first cold water coral reef with living animals has been discovered off the coast of Mauritania. In the middle of the enormous rock formation of the undersea canyon area, the scientists also stumbled across the giant deep sea oyster, a Methuselah among sea creatures...
- Coral reefs found growing in cold, deep oceanTue, 4 Nov 2008, 10:08:02 EST
- Coral hotspots found in deepwater canyons off northeast US coastWed, 26 Sep 2012, 11:07:37 EDT
- Diversity of corals, algae in warm Indian Ocean suggests resilience to future global warmingTue, 16 Feb 2010, 11:59:11 EST
- Magnificent coral reefs discoveredMon, 4 Oct 2010, 10:06:13 EDT
- Corals can sense what's coming Sun, 20 Nov 2011, 15:32:49 EST