A new image from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory shows a supernova remnant with a different look. This object, known as SNR 0104-72.3 (SNR 0104 for short), is in the Small Magellanic Cloud, a small neighbouring galaxy to the Milky Way. Astronomers think that SNR 0104 is the remains of a so-called Type Ia supernova caused by the thermonuclear explosion of a white dwarf...
- Supernova remnant is an unusual suspectTue, 9 Jun 2009, 13:22:10 EDT
- Was Kepler's supernova unusually powerful?Tue, 11 Sep 2012, 14:05:27 EDT
- NC State researchers 'clear away the dust,' get better look at youngest supernova remnantWed, 22 Apr 2009, 17:31:01 EDT
- Supernova explosions stay in shapeThu, 17 Dec 2009, 11:11:56 EST
- Discovery of most recent supernova in our galaxyWed, 14 May 2008, 13:35:54 EDT