The principle behind whispering galleries - where words spoken softly beneath a domed ceiling or in a vault can be clearly heard on the opposite side of the chamber - has been used to achieve what could prove to be a significant breakthrough in the miniaturisation of lasers. Ultrasmall lasers, i.e., nanoscale, promise a wide variety of intriguing applications, including superfast communications and data handling (photonics), and optical microchips for instant and detailed chemical analyses...
- Plasmonic whispering gallery microcavity paves the way to future nanolasersFri, 23 Jan 2009, 23:42:56 EST
- Penn: Nanoplasmonic 'whispering gallery' breaks emission time record in semiconductorsFri, 22 Jul 2011, 14:35:44 EDT
- Tiny whispering galleryFri, 18 Dec 2009, 14:27:56 EST
- New nanolaser key to future optical computers and technologiesSun, 16 Aug 2009, 14:22:57 EDT
- Researchers create laser the size of a virus particleMon, 5 Nov 2012, 18:02:37 EST