In future, polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA for short) - better known as acrylic glass - could be made from natural raw materials such as sugars, alcohols or fatty acids. PMMA is manufactured by polymerising methyl methacrylate (MMA). In a bacterial strain, scientists at the University of Duisburg-Essen and the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) have found an enzyme which could be used for the biotechnological production of a precursor of MMA...
- Acrylic glass made of sugarThu, 13 Nov 2008, 10:31:00 EST
- New catalyst could improve production of glass alternativesTue, 21 Aug 2012, 22:36:47 EDT
- Inhibiting fatty acids in immune cells decreases atherosclerosis riskFri, 23 Jul 2010, 15:57:08 EDT
- Fungal map of mutations key to increasing enzyme production for bioenergy useWed, 2 Sep 2009, 16:29:18 EDT
- Enzyme trio for biosynthesis of hydrocarbon fuelsMon, 21 Jun 2010, 17:05:53 EDT