In ancient Earth history, the sun burned as much as 30 percent dimmer than it does now. Theoretically that should have encased the planet in ice, but there is geologic evidence for rivers and ocean sediments between 2 billion and 4 billion years ago.
- Fossil raindrop impressions imply greenhouse gases loaded early atmosphere Wed, 28 Mar 2012, 15:36:52 EDT
- Oxygen-free early oceans likely delayed rise of life on planetMon, 10 Jan 2011, 16:10:36 EST
- Earth's early ocean cooled more than a billion years earlier than thought: Stanford studyWed, 11 Nov 2009, 14:07:52 EST
- Early Earth absorbed more sunlight -- no extreme greenhouse needed to keep water wetTue, 6 Apr 2010, 15:12:35 EDT
- Researcher unravels one of science's great mysteriesWed, 31 Mar 2010, 13:45:49 EDT