Below are remarks delivered by President-Elect L. Rafael Reif at an MIT community meeting and reception held following Reif’s election as the Institute’s 17th president on May 16, 2012. Video: Watch the archived webcast of Wednesday's community event It is incredibly humbling for me to stand before you as the president-elect of MIT. I cannot tell you that this is a dream come true, because this is a dream I never dared to imagine.My story is not too different from that of many of you. I grew up in a home wealthy in integrity and principles and values, but poor in everything material. I came to the U.S. as a graduate student to prepare myself for an academic career, which was the dream I envisioned for a better life. I did not speak English. A few decades later I am standing here in front of you — ready, eager, excited and...
- Seminal papers on election law and election administrationTue, 21 Dec 2010, 13:31:27 EST
- Criminal punishment and politics: Elected judges take tougher stance prior to electionsThu, 18 Oct 2012, 16:08:01 EDT
- Protect your vote -- avoid election machine errorsMon, 3 Nov 2008, 10:29:35 EST
- Cancer-themed issue of JAMA features UAB researchers on reducing disparitiesMon, 22 Mar 2010, 6:59:37 EDT
- Election forecasters preparing for historic electionMon, 23 Jun 2008, 2:21:41 EDT