Mike Hapgood, who studies solar events, says the world isn't prepared for a truly damaging storm. And one could happen soon.A stream of highly charged particles from the sun is headed straight toward Earth, threatening to plunge cities around the world into darkness and bring the global economy screeching to a halt.
- Teamwork: IBEX and TWINS observe a solar stormThu, 12 Apr 2012, 19:34:06 EDT
- Space weather disrupts communications, threatens other technologiesFri, 18 Feb 2011, 13:37:19 EST
- NASA's TWINS and IBEX spacecraft observe solar storm from inside and outside Earth's magnetosphereWed, 28 Mar 2012, 10:36:13 EDT
- New sunspots producing space weatherMon, 14 Jan 2013, 20:04:43 EST
- Tracking the origins of speedy space particlesMon, 31 Jan 2011, 15:36:33 EST