Researchers find 356 cases of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae , mostly among elderly. It's a relative of E. coli , resistant to most antibiotics except colistin, a drug so powerful it can cause kidney damage. Studies in the U.S. and Israel have shown about 40% of infected patients die.A dangerous drug-resistant bacterium has reached Southern California healthcare facilities, according to a study released Thursday by Los Angeles County public health officials.
- Drug-resistant pathogen found in large numbers in LA County Thu, 24 Mar 2011, 11:04:09 EDT
- Large Veterans Health Administration study shows 'last resort' antibiotics use on the riseSun, 3 Apr 2011, 13:35:27 EDT
- Drug-resistant urinary tract infections spreading worldwideMon, 28 Dec 2009, 4:35:30 EST
- Misuse of common antibiotic is creating resistant TBMon, 10 Aug 2009, 11:44:16 EDT
- Scientists find mechanism that leads to drug resistance in bacteria causing melioidosisMon, 3 Oct 2011, 17:38:47 EDT