ATLANTA (AP) -- Scrawl on the patient with a permanent marker to show where the surgeon should cut. Ask the person's name to make sure you have the right patient. Count sponges to make sure you didn't leave any inside the body. Doctors worldwide who followed a checklist of steps like these cut the death rate from surgery almost in half and complications by more than a third in a large international study of how to avoid blatant operating room mistakes....
- Hospitals demonstrate surgical safety checklist drops deaths and complications by more than a thirdWed, 14 Jan 2009, 17:36:21 EST
- Results show surgical safety checklist drops deaths and complications by more than one thirdWed, 14 Jan 2009, 17:36:17 EST
- Nudging doctors in intensive care unit reduces deaths Wed, 22 Jun 2011, 13:35:51 EDT
- Treatment checklists may cut hospital deathsFri, 2 Apr 2010, 4:44:46 EDT
- Safety checklist use yields 10 percent drop in hospital deathsTue, 1 Feb 2011, 17:04:31 EST