Siberian fossil revealed to be one of the oldest known domestic dogs
Analysis of DNA extracted from a fossil tooth recovered in southern Siberia confirms that the tooth belonged to one of the oldest known ancestors of the modern dog, and is described in research published March 6 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by Anna Druzhkova from the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Russian Federation, and colleagues from other institutions. Human domestication of dogs predates the beginning of agriculture about 10,000 years ago, but when modern dogs emerged as a species distinct from wolves is still unclear. Although some previous studies have suggested that this separation of domestic dogs and wolves occurred over 100,000 years ago, the oldest known fossils of modern dogs are only about 36,000 years old.
The new research published today evaluates the relationship of a 33,000 year old Siberian fossil to modern dogs and wolves based on DNA sequence. The researchers found that this fossil, named the 'Altai dog' after the mountains where it was recovered, is more closely related to modern dogs and prehistoric canids found on the American continents than it is to wolves.
They add, ""These results suggest a more ancient history of the dog outside the Middle East or East Asia, previously thought to be the centers where dogs originated."
Source: Public Library of Science
- Fossil finger bone yields genome of a previously unknown human relativeWed, 22 Dec 2010, 13:41:32 EST
- Fossil discovery could be our oldest human ancestor Thu, 8 Sep 2011, 12:36:40 EDT
- Uncovering Africa's oldest known penguinsTue, 26 Mar 2013, 11:06:58 EDT
- Ancient domesticated remains are oldest in southern AfricaWed, 11 Jul 2012, 22:31:53 EDT
- Dinosaur-chewing mammals leave behind oldest known tooth marksWed, 16 Jun 2010, 16:32:33 EDT
- Siberian fossil revealed to be one of the oldest known domestic dogsfrom Science DailyWed, 6 Mar 2013, 23:00:23 EST
- Fossil may be of oldest ancestor of dogsfrom UPIWed, 6 Mar 2013, 21:00:20 EST
- Siberian fossil revealed to be one of the oldest known domestic dogsfrom PhysorgWed, 6 Mar 2013, 17:01:01 EST
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Detection of the cosmic gamma ray horizon: Measures all the light in the universe since the Big Bang
- Facial-recognition technology proves its mettle
- UEA scientists make breast cancer advance that turns previous thinking on its head
- New filtration material could make petroleum refining cheaper, more efficient
- Heart healthy lifestyle may cut kidney disease patients' risk of kidney failure