Bark beetle management and ecology in southern pine forests
Periodic outbreaks of bark beetles can cause annual losses of millions of dollars and pose serious challenges for forest managers, and the suppression of outbreaks is particularly difficult and expensive. According to T. D. Schowalter, author of a new open-access article in the Journal of Integrated Pest Management, preventative measures are most effective in minimizing losses to these beetles, and several factors should be considered in planning bark beetle management in southern pine forests.
First, managers should consider the fact that the effects of these beetles on ecosystem services are not necessarily destructive and, in some cases, may contribute to management objectives in multiple-use forests. Second, these beetles are controlled naturally by environmental factors that can be manipulated through management practices.
The keys to managing bark beetles are maintaining a diversity of healthy, site-adapted tree species and adequate spacing between host trees.
The diversity of site-adapted tree species reduces the likelihood of beetle outbreaks because a mixture of tree species creates a more complex environment within which beetles must detect and reach suitable hosts.
Selective thinning of pine density also lowers the risk of beetle outbreaks by reducing resource availability for beetle populations, and by reducing competition between trees for water and nutrients, which can minimize or delay the effects of drought. In addition, thinning the trees creates a more open canopy, which reduces the effectiveness of pheromone communication between beetles.
Source: Entomological Society of America
- Pine bark beetles affecting more than forestsWed, 24 Sep 2008, 14:35:58 EDT
- New study shows effects of climate conditions on bark beetle outbreaksMon, 12 Nov 2012, 22:34:34 EST
- Dry heat increases bark beetle biteWed, 2 May 2012, 23:32:56 EDT
- Dartmouth research offers new control strategies for bipolar bark beetlesFri, 25 Jan 2013, 15:05:56 EST
- 50 years of cereal leaf beetle management researchMon, 17 Oct 2011, 15:35:01 EDT
- Bark beetle management and ecology in southern pine forestsfrom Science DailyMon, 23 Apr 2012, 21:30:19 EDT
- Bark beetle management and ecology in southern pine forestsfrom PhysorgMon, 23 Apr 2012, 17:20:12 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Outlook is grim for mammals and birds as human population grows
- Mars had oxygen-rich atmosphere 4,000 million years ago
- The contribution of particulate matter to forest decline
- Scientists find new source of versatility so 'floppy' proteins can get things done
- An environmentally friendly battery made from wood
- Even with defects, graphene is strongest material in the world
- Detection of the cosmic gamma ray horizon: Measures all the light in the universe since the Big Bang
- Genetic engineering alters mosquitoes' sense of smell
- Allosaurus fed more like a falcon than a crocodile, new study finds
- 'Popcorn' particle pathways promise better lithium-ion batteries