Perspectives on computational biology methods
There have been impressive advances in computational methods, allowing researchers to better understand biological and physiological systems at the atomic level. In its latest Perspectives in General Physiology series, the Journal of General Physiology (JGP) offers an in-depth look at several of these methods and the advantages of each as applied to membrane proteins, with special focus on ion channels. The Perspectives appear in the June issue (www.jgp.org). The main focus of computational biology is to develop mathematical modeling and computational techniques to better analyze biological systems. As guest editor Benoit Roux (University of Chicago) explains, no single method can provide researchers with all the levels of description needed to fully examine every relevant lengthscale and timescale of a particular physiological process. However, the four Perspectives presented in this issue illustrate how various methods can be used to achieve different goals.
The Perspectives include: Denis Bucher and Ursula Rothlisberger (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) present ab initio (first-principles) simulations; David Shaw and colleagues (Columbia University) examine the all-atom molecular dynamics (MD) method; Ivet Bahar (University of Pittsburgh) shows how important insights can be obtained from "course-grained" (CG) models; and Jonathan Silva and Yoram Rudy (University of Chicago) examine a strategy using a small number of simplified "states" to represent a complex system.
The purpose of the Perspectives in General Physiology series is to provide an ongoing forum where scientific questions or controversies can be discussed by experts in an open manner.
Source: Rockefeller University Press
- New perspectives on local calcium signalingMon, 26 Jul 2010, 12:43:41 EDT
- New perspectives on ion selectivityMon, 25 Apr 2011, 12:33:10 EDT
- New perspectives on sensory mechanismsTue, 30 Aug 2011, 8:34:00 EDT
- Emerging questions about the mechanisms that control muscleTue, 29 Jun 2010, 6:08:55 EDT
- New clues to the structural dynamics of BK channelsThu, 14 Jul 2011, 14:37:09 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Researchers reveal model of Sun's magnetic field
- 2 miniature spider species discovered in Giant Panda Sanctuaries of China
- The Norway spruce genome sequenced
- UCLA life scientists present new insights on climate change and species interactions
- Baby's life saved with groundbreaking 3-D printed device that restored his breathing
- Allosaurus fed more like a falcon than a crocodile, new study finds
- Invasive crazy ants are displacing fire ants in areas throughout southeastern US
- Beautiful 'flowers' self-assemble in a beaker
- Scientific insurgents say 'Journal Impact Factors' distort science
- GPS solution provides 3-minute tsunami alerts