New ORNL system provides hybrid electric autos with power to spare
An advancement in hybrid electric vehicle technology is providing powerful benefits beyond transportation. Researchers at the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have designed, fabricated and demonstrated a PHEV traction drive power electronics system that provides significant mobile power generation and vehicle-to-grid support capabilities.
"The new technology eliminates the separate charging mechanism typically used in PHEVs, reducing both cost and volume under the hood," said Gui-Jia Su of ORNL's Power Electronics and Electric Machinery Research Center. "The PHEV's traction drive system is used to charge the battery, power the vehicle and enable its mobile energy source capabilities."
Providing more power than typical freestanding portable generators, the PHEV can be used in emergency situations such as power outages and roadside breakdowns or leisure occasions such as camping. Day-to-day, the PHEV can be used to power homes or businesses or supply power to the grid when power load is high, according to Su.
The charging system concept, which is market ready, could also be used to enhance the voltage stability of the grid by providing reactive power, Su said.
The Power Electronics and Electric Machinery Research Center is DOE's broad-based research center helping lead the nation's advancing shift from petroleum-powered to hybrid-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The center's efforts directly support DOE's Vehicle Technologies Program and its goal to provide Americans with greater freedom of mobility and energy security while lowering costs and reducing impacts on the environment.
- Scientists explore putting electric cars on a two-way power streetThu, 2 Oct 2008, 12:08:09 EDT
- Revolutionary green technology bus has DOE rootsMon, 28 Jul 2008, 15:21:31 EDT
- Energy storage for hybrid vehiclesThu, 14 Aug 2008, 10:29:21 EDT
- Electricity pricing policies may make or break plug-in hybrid buysThu, 13 Jan 2011, 12:38:22 EST
- Hybrid power plants can help industry go greenThu, 3 Nov 2011, 20:35:39 EDT
- New ORNL system provides hybrid electric autos with power to sparefrom Science CentricSun, 7 Feb 2010, 10:21:29 EST
- New system provides hybrid electric autos with power to sparefrom Science DailyFri, 5 Feb 2010, 0:21:15 EST
- New System Provides Hybrid Electric Autos with Power to Sparefrom Newswise - ScinewsThu, 4 Feb 2010, 16:42:14 EST
- New ORNL system provides hybrid electric autos with power to sparefrom PhysorgThu, 4 Feb 2010, 16:35:10 EST
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Seismic gap outside of Istanbul
- The contribution of particulate matter to forest decline
- Voices may not trigger brain's reward centers in children with autism, Stanford/Packard study shows
- Mars had oxygen-rich atmosphere 4,000 million years ago
- Unusual supernova is doubly unusual for being perfectly normal
- Even with defects, graphene is strongest material in the world
- Detection of the cosmic gamma ray horizon: Measures all the light in the universe since the Big Bang
- Genetic engineering alters mosquitoes' sense of smell
- Allosaurus fed more like a falcon than a crocodile, new study finds
- 'Popcorn' particle pathways promise better lithium-ion batteries