How about the feasibility of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided choledochoduodenostomy?
Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)-guided biliary drainage for treatment of patients who have obstructive jaundice in cases of failed endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). An article to be published on October 21, 2008 in the World Journal of Gastroenterology addresses the case. The research team led by Takao Itoi, from Tokyo Medical University Shinjuku-ku of Japan introduced the feasibility and outcome of EUS-guided choledochoduodenostomy in four patients who failed ERCP.
They performed the procedure in 2 papilla of Vater, including one resectable case, and 2 cases of cancer of the head of pancreas were applied for this procedure. Using a curved linear array echoendoscope, a 19 G needle or a needle knife was punctured transduodenally into the bile duct under EUS visualization. After using a biliary catheter for dilation, or papillary balloon dilator, a 7-Fr plastic stent was inserted through the choledochoduodenostomy site into the extrahepatic bile duct. In 3 of 4 (75%) cases, an indwelling plastic stent was placed, and in one case in which the stent could not be advanced into the bile duct, a naso-biliary drainage tube was placed instead.
In all cases, the obstructive jaundice rapidly improved after the procedure. Focal peritonitis and bleeding not requiring blood transfusion was seen in one cases. In this case, pancreatoduodenectomy was perfomed and the surgical findings revealed that severe adhesion around the choledochoduodenostomy site was recognized. Although further studies and development of devices are mandatory, EUS-guided choledochoduodenostomy may appear to be an effective alternative to ERCP in selected cases.
- Magnetic-anchor-guided endoscopic submucosal dissection shows promise for gastric cancerTue, 27 Jan 2009, 12:08:51 EST
- A new combined treatment of biliary cast syndromeFri, 19 Sep 2008, 14:37:35 EDT
- Study examines radiation dose estimates for pregnant women undergoing therapeutic ERCPTue, 28 Apr 2009, 12:51:52 EDT
- Perform non-radiation ERCP during pregnancy: Is it safe?Thu, 13 Aug 2009, 7:29:39 EDT
- New endoscope allows for easier use in diagnosis of biliary and pancreatic diseasesTue, 24 Mar 2009, 11:53:11 EDT
- How about the feasibility of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided choledochoduodenostomy?from Science CentricMon, 3 Nov 2008, 11:21:22 EST
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Allosaurus fed more like a falcon than a crocodile, new study finds
- Detection of the cosmic gamma ray horizon: Measures all the light in the universe since the Big Bang
- King Richard III found in 'untidy lozenge-shaped grave'
- Attacking MRSA with metals from antibacterial clays
- Protein study suggests drug side effects are inevitable