NOAA predicts a ‘near-normal’ Atlantic hurricane season for 2023

Thursday, June 1, 2023 - 07:33 in Earth & Climate

A satellite view of Hurricane Florence in 2018. Atlantic hurricane seasons runs from June 1 to November 30. Deposit Photos Atlantic hurricane season officially begins on June 1—and a disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico is already brewing. Tropical wave Invest 91-L only has a 20 percent chance of becoming the first named system of the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season—Arlene—but it will likely bring downpours and gusty thunderstorms to southern Florida by the end of the work week. [Related: What hurricane categories mean, and why we use them.] For the 2023 season, NOAA forecasts a pretty average amount of hurricane activity. In their annual outlook, NOAA predicts a 40 percent chance of a “near-normal season”, a 30 percent chance of an “above-normal season”, and a 30 percent chance of a “below-normal season”.  The forecast...

Read the whole article on PopSci

More from PopSci

Latest Science Newsletter

Get the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!

Check out our next project, Biology.Net