Would it be healthier for humanity if doctors were more like vets?We all know that, biologically speaking, Homo sapiens is just another animal. Yet we seem to have been remarkably slow in coming to terms with the implications of this truth. One example of this is summed up in the joke that a doctor is just a vet who can treat only one species. This is actually quite a recent development, as cardiologist Barbara Natterson Horowitz points out in one of the many fascinating asides that light up Zoobiquity, written with the journalist Kathryn Bowers. Before Darwin decisively quashed the myth of an essential difference, "a century or two ago, in many communities, animals and humans were cared for by the same practitioner".Horowitz's central claim is that this failure to make connections between animal and human medicine is robbing us of vital insights that could improve health and even save...
- A pet in your life keeps the doctor awayMon, 28 Sep 2009, 17:17:17 EDT
- Egg cartons not accurate in reporting animal welfare claimsTue, 31 May 2011, 19:40:28 EDT
- Kids understand the relationship between humans and other animalsMon, 17 May 2010, 18:21:07 EDT
- New evidence debunks 'stupid' Neanderthal mythMon, 25 Aug 2008, 22:29:08 EDT
- By studying animal health, researchers find improved ways for developing, testing cancer therapiesWed, 15 Aug 2012, 11:41:26 EDT