This secretive little Peruvian mystery bird was only recently describedMystery Bird photographed in Abra Malaga, Cusco department, Peru (South America). [I will identify this bird in 49 or so hours] Image: Nick Athanas/Tropical Birding, 12 March 2012 (with permission, for GrrlScientist/Guardian use only) [velociraptorise]. Canon EOS 7D, 400 mm f/6.3 at 1/200 sec, iso800 Question: This secretive little Peruvian mystery bird was only recently described, Yet despite its air of mystery, it is known for a special talent. What talent is that? Can you identify this bird's taxonomic family and species?The Game:1. This is intended to be a learning experience where together we learn a few things about birds and about the process of identifying them (and maybe about ourselves, too). 2. Each mystery bird is usually accompanied by a question or two. These questions can be useful for identifying the pictured species, but may instead be...
- Toxic molecule may help birds 'see' north and southMon, 22 Jun 2009, 11:14:36 EDT
- 50 years of bird poop links DDT with changing bird menusWed, 18 Apr 2012, 15:34:37 EDT
- Birds and mammals share a common brain circuit for learningTue, 18 May 2010, 17:36:53 EDT
- New research identifies the plight of farmland birdsWed, 3 Nov 2010, 10:05:25 EDT
- Birds of a feather display only a fraction of possible colorsThu, 23 Jun 2011, 0:34:07 EDT