Space exploration company, who are planning a new space venture to 'expand Earth's resource base', names the Titanic director among its 'investor and adviser group'Record-breaking film-maker James Cameron is one of the high-profile array of names backing a new space exploration outfit called Planetary Resources, according to a press release issued by the company.Announcing a launch event at Seattle's Museum of Flight on 24 April, Planetary Resources said it was to "unveil a new space venture" to "expand Earth's resource base", and named Google executives Larry Page and Eric Schmidt, Ross Perot, Jr as well as Cameron, among its "investor and adviser group".The previously unknown start-up describe themselves as "commercial space pioneers" and appear to be looking for ways to extract raw materials from non-Earth sources, and thereby "add trillions of dollars to the global GDP". Whether this in practice means asteroid mining, the stuff of Armageddon-style space blockbuster movies,...
- Super-tough sunshield to fly on the James Webb Space TelescopeWed, 12 Nov 2008, 13:31:26 EST
- New test adds to scientists' understanding of Earth's history, resourcesWed, 5 Dec 2012, 12:39:16 EST
- Starry-eyed Hubble celebrates 20 years of awe and discoveryFri, 23 Apr 2010, 10:20:32 EDT
- Tracking the origins of speedy space particlesMon, 31 Jan 2011, 15:36:33 EST
- Sandia researcher: Amateur astronomers open potential lab in outer space for planetary scientistsFri, 10 Sep 2010, 17:22:30 EDT