The birds are faster than fighter jets relative to size and withstand g-forces that would make the average human black outHummingbirds are the fastest animals on Earth, relative to their body size. They can cover more body lengths per second than any other vertebrate and for their size can even outpace fighter jets and the space shuttle – while withstanding g-forces that would make a fighter pilot black out.Christopher James Clark, a zoologist at the University of California, Berkeley, took high-speed pictures of male Anna's hummingbirds performing dives as part of their courtship ritual. He measured them moving at up to 385 body lengths per second (blps), which is around 27.3 metres per second.This is the highest speed ever recorded for a vertebrate, relative to its size. The only animals that can move faster relative to their body size are insects such as fleas."Behavioural displays are a common feature of...
- Hummingbirds all a-flutter during courtshipThu, 8 Sep 2011, 17:38:32 EDT
- Long, sexy tails not a drag on male birdsThu, 12 Mar 2009, 11:41:45 EDT
- Flag has ladies all of a flutterWed, 28 Apr 2010, 10:23:24 EDT
- Again, but faster! The spectacular courtship dance of a tiny bird Fri, 3 Jun 2011, 11:36:21 EDT
- Penguins continue diving long after muscles run out of oxygenThu, 12 May 2011, 5:33:45 EDT