The role of sniffer dogs in the treatment of Kate and Gerry McCann as suspects in their daughter's disappearance drew sharp criticism. Research casts doubt on sniffer dogs' reliability and how much weight should be attributed to their evidenceAlmost a decade ago, a man was convicted and imprisoned solely on the basis of sniffer dog evidence, but could it have been a miscarriage of justice?On the night on 11 January 1999, the occupier of a house in Stoney Barton, Westleigh, Devon, discovered an intruder in his house and telephoned the police.A police dog handler who attended the scene later gave evidence in court stating that the animal had gone straight from the house and stopped beside a car parked half a mile away.Inside it was Alvyn Oldfield, who told police that he had been sleeping rough in a nearby barn. He said that it was cold and he had sought...
- Explosive- and drug-sniffing dog performance is affected by their handlers' beliefsMon, 31 Jan 2011, 14:33:19 EST
- Barriers to the use of fingerprint evidence in court is unlocked by statistical modelFri, 10 Feb 2012, 9:36:13 EST
- Limitations of evidence base for prescribing aripiprazole in maintenance therapy of bipolar disorderTue, 3 May 2011, 18:01:42 EDT
- Pain relief can now be based on solid evidenceWed, 7 Sep 2011, 4:35:47 EDT
- Spotting evidence of directed percolationTue, 17 Nov 2009, 13:31:13 EST