Michael Phelps, Nastia Liukin, Misty May-Treanor and Lin Dan are four Olympic athletes who have each spent most of their life learning the skills needed to reach the top of their respective sports, swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball and badminton (you were wondering about Lin, weren't you...) Their physical skills are obvious and amazing to watch. For just a few minutes, instead of being a spectator, try to step inside the heads of each of them and try to imagine what their brains must accomplish when they are competing and how different the mental tasks are for each of their sports.Read More...
- Winter Olympics: Experts discuss altitude and performanceTue, 16 Feb 2010, 11:13:17 EST
- Winter Olympics: Altitude affects skill sports, not just endurance eventsTue, 16 Feb 2010, 11:12:49 EST
- Playing, and even watching, sports improves brain functionMon, 1 Sep 2008, 17:21:33 EDT
- Elite athletes also excel at some cognitive tasksMon, 18 Mar 2013, 17:34:28 EDT
- Concussion in former athletes can affect mental and physical processes later in lifeTue, 27 Jan 2009, 20:45:18 EST