In September 1859, a solar flare erupted so intense that the explosion itself was visible to the human eye. A ferocious geomagnetic storm ensued in which Northern Lights descended as far south as Cuba, the Bahamas and Hawaii. Meanwhile, telegraph engineers disconnected their batteries and powered communications by electricity from the auroras! Could it happen again?
- Solar flares: What does it take to be X-class?Tue, 9 Aug 2011, 18:15:11 EDT
- The mouse that roared: pipsqueak star unleashes monster flareMon, 19 May 2008, 12:07:15 EDT
- Solar flare surpriseMon, 15 Dec 2008, 13:57:10 EST
- NASA sees sun send out mid-level solar flareThu, 19 Jul 2012, 12:08:19 EDT
- 2012: Killer solar flares are a physical impossibilityFri, 11 Nov 2011, 17:33:07 EST