In contrast to traditional approaches using morphological characters to delimit species, five new lichen-forming fungal species were described from what was traditionally considered a single species using genetic data exclusively. The new species can be identified using DNA barcoding. This pioneering study marks an alternative approach for discovering species and will promote effective research through correct specimen identification in closely related species groups.
- Revealing hidden fungal species using DNA: The importance of recognizing cryptic diversityFri, 10 May 2013, 14:05:13 EDT
- Identifying sloth species at a genetic levelFri, 6 Jan 2012, 17:36:36 EST
- NYBG scientists identify 81 new plant and fungus speciesWed, 6 Jun 2012, 18:31:37 EDT
- New Danish fungal species discoveredTue, 4 Sep 2012, 13:35:25 EDT
- Bee species outnumber mammals and birds combinedWed, 11 Jun 2008, 13:22:09 EDT