Scientists have discovered that the single protein -- alpha 2 delta -- exerts a spigot-like function, controlling the volume of neurotransmitters and other chemicals that flow between the synapses of brain neurons. The study shows how brain cells talk to each other through these signals, relaying thoughts, feelings and action, and this powerful molecule plays a crucial role in regulating effective communication.
- Revealing the regulating mechanism behind signal transduction in the brainThu, 18 Sep 2008, 19:01:40 EDT
- Controlling individual cortical nerve cells by human thoughtWed, 27 Oct 2010, 13:37:46 EDT
- Protein found that regulates gene critical to dopamine-releasing brain cellsWed, 10 Sep 2008, 11:42:46 EDT
- UC Davis researchers identify brain protein for synapse developmentFri, 29 Jan 2010, 15:17:43 EST
- Protein linked to mental retardation controls synapse maturation, plasticity, CSHL team findsMon, 1 Jun 2009, 12:38:00 EDT