The cyclone that brought about the devastating winds that battered the UK in the great storm of October 1987 was exceptional in both its strength and path across the south of the country. This is the finding of a new study which has analyzed the places where sting jets – an area that develops in some cyclones and causes strong surface winds – appear in the North Atlantic and how often they do so.
- Second only south Atlantic tropical storm: 90Q, moving away from BrazilThu, 11 Mar 2010, 16:45:53 EST
- 90Q: A curious short-lived 'tropical' cyclone in the southern AtlanticWed, 10 Mar 2010, 15:45:25 EST
- Henri born in Eastern Atlantic... could be short-livedWed, 7 Oct 2009, 17:25:40 EDT
- Cyclone Anja hits wind shear, weakens drasticallyTue, 17 Nov 2009, 15:25:02 EST
- NASA's Aqua Satellite spots rare Southern Atlantic sub-tropical stormTue, 15 Mar 2011, 16:34:24 EDT