New research shows that hearing and touch have a common genetic basis. In patients with Usher syndrome, a hereditary form of deafness accompanied by impaired vision, researchers have discovered a gene mutation that is also causative for the patients' impaired touch sensitivity.
- Mutated muscle protein causes deafnessTue, 31 May 2011, 10:34:18 EDT
- Researchers discover gene that causes deafnessTue, 2 Oct 2012, 13:05:24 EDT
- Gene therapy involving antibiotics may help patients with Usher syndromeMon, 2 Jun 2008, 18:21:24 EDT
- Genetic modifier in Usher syndrome will lead to better diagnosisFri, 11 Jun 2010, 18:33:55 EDT
- Greater awareness of genetic testing for impaired fetal movement can save babies' livesSat, 31 May 2008, 9:21:50 EDT