An extraordinary outburst produced by a black hole in a nearby galaxy has provided direct evidence for a population of old, volatile stellar black holes. The discovery provides new insight into the nature of a mysterious class of black holes that can produce as much energy in X-rays as a million suns radiate at all wavelengths.
- NASA's Chandra sees remarkable outburst from old black holeMon, 30 Apr 2012, 16:35:35 EDT
- Nearby black hole is feeble and unpredictableTue, 25 May 2010, 9:35:00 EDT
- Black hole caught zapping galaxy into existence?Mon, 30 Nov 2009, 11:57:58 EST
- Pinpointing origin of gamma rays from a supermassive black holeThu, 2 Jul 2009, 14:36:46 EDT
- 'Survivor' black holes may be mid-sizedThu, 29 Apr 2010, 12:31:58 EDT