‘Self-healing’ concrete is being developed. Researchers are using a ground-borne bacteria – bacilli megaterium - to create calcite, a crystalline form of natural calcium carbonate. This can then be used to block the concrete’s pores, keeping out water and other damaging substances to prolong the life of the concrete.
- Self-healing concrete for safer, more durable infrastructureWed, 22 Apr 2009, 17:08:41 EDT
- How solid is concrete's carbon footprint?Mon, 18 May 2009, 12:51:51 EDT
- Research on self-healing concrete yields cost-effective system to extend life of structuresMon, 24 May 2010, 14:59:36 EDT
- Tracking down rustFri, 23 Apr 2010, 23:36:24 EDT
- Cement's basic molecular structure finally decodedWed, 9 Sep 2009, 14:42:18 EDT