Scientists have found clinical evidence that the drug gabapentin, currently on the market to treat neuropathic pain and epilepsy, helps people to quit smoking marijuana (cannabis). Unlike traditional addiction treatments, gabapentin targets stress systems in the brain that are activated by drug withdrawal.
- Medicinal marijuana effective for neuropathic pain in HIVWed, 6 Aug 2008, 9:50:14 EDT
- Scripps Research scientists find seizure drug reverses cellular effectsWed, 28 May 2008, 12:21:26 EDT
- Weeding out marijuana: Researchers close in on engineering recognizable, drug-free Cannabis plantTue, 15 Sep 2009, 10:15:50 EDT
- New direction for epilepsy treatmentMon, 28 Mar 2011, 9:33:00 EDT
- Our brains make their own marijuana: We're all pot heads deep insideMon, 20 Apr 2009, 16:37:31 EDT