To produce the maximum amount of energy, solar cells are designed to absorb as much light from the sun as possible. Now researchers have suggested -- and demonstrated -- a counter-intuitive concept: solar cells should be designed to be more like LEDs, able to emit light as well as absorb it.
- The solar cell that also shines: Luminescent 'LED-type' design breaks efficiency recordThu, 19 Apr 2012, 12:40:26 EDT
- Solar power could get boost from new light absorption designWed, 2 Nov 2011, 14:41:28 EDT
- Solar cells thinner than wavelengths of light hold huge power potentialTue, 28 Sep 2010, 9:15:58 EDT
- NRL designs multi-junction solar cell to break efficiency barrierMon, 14 Jan 2013, 12:03:48 EST
- Silver nanocubes make super light absorbersThu, 6 Dec 2012, 16:24:58 EST