The computer industry is nearing a crisis: microchips get smaller and faster but they struggle to transfer data at sufficient speeds. Electrons flowing through standard chip connections are just too slow. Now researchers have shown how chips with built-in lasers which use multiple wavelengths of light could in the future transmit data at terabit speeds.
- MIT: New material could lead to faster chipsMon, 23 Mar 2009, 18:52:03 EDT
- 'Slow light' on a chip holds promise for optical communicationsSun, 5 Sep 2010, 13:43:51 EDT
- Light-speed computer connection will slash genetic data transfer time between TGen-ASUWed, 12 Nov 2008, 9:44:38 EST
- Short, on-chip light pulses will enable ultrafast data transfer within computersWed, 24 Nov 2010, 15:04:18 EST
- Scientists twist light to send dataMon, 25 Jun 2012, 15:07:36 EDT