Stuck solving a problem? Seek the obscure, says a psychologist. "There's a classic obstacle to innovation called 'functional fixedness,' which is the tendency to fixate on the common use of an object or its parts. It hinders people from solving problems." Researchers have developed a systematic way of overcoming that obstacle: the "generic parts technique."
- Researchers use new approach to overcome key hurdle for next-generation superconductorsThu, 27 Oct 2011, 13:39:48 EDT
- Want to solve a problem? Don't just use your brain, but your body, tooThu, 2 Jun 2011, 12:35:50 EDT
- Novel genetic screens provide panoramic views of cellular systemsThu, 16 Oct 2008, 14:30:28 EDT
- Soap films help to solve mathematical problemsTue, 25 Jan 2011, 12:32:06 EST
- Discovery may overcome obstacle for quantum computingWed, 20 Jul 2011, 13:39:11 EDT