NASA's Dawn spacecraft has reached its official approach phase to the asteroid Vesta and will begin using cameras for the first time to aid navigation for an expected July 16 orbital encounter. The large asteroid is known as a protoplanet -- a celestial body that almost formed into a planet.
- NASA's Dawn spacecraft approaches protoplanet VestaFri, 10 Jun 2011, 11:32:58 EDT
- When minor planets Ceres and Vesta rock the Earth into chaosFri, 15 Jul 2011, 17:35:08 EDT
- Asteroid's troughs suggest stunted planetThu, 27 Sep 2012, 9:08:04 EDT
- Carbon in Vesta's craters Thu, 3 Jan 2013, 14:03:23 EST
- Primitive asteroids in the main asteroid belt may have formed far from the sunWed, 15 Jul 2009, 13:38:16 EDT