Taking one type of cell and transforming it into another type is now possible. Cells taken from the thymus have been transformed into skin cells -- a discovery that may have important ramifications for the field of organ regeneration. The findings show that these stem cells change their genetic make-up according to their environment to contribute to the long-term functioning of the skin, even producing hair for up to a year after implantation.
- Cells changing track: Thymus cells transform into skin cells in Swiss laboratoryWed, 18 Aug 2010, 14:23:18 EDT
- Bone marrow cells that transform into skin cells could revolutionise approach to wound treatmentMon, 4 Apr 2011, 16:39:27 EDT
- Transforming skin cells into stem cells using a molecular toolkitThu, 18 Feb 2010, 14:21:54 EST
- Stanford researchers directly turn mouse skin cells into neurons, skipping IPS stageWed, 27 Jan 2010, 13:36:30 EST
- New properties of skin stem cellsTue, 14 Oct 2008, 12:22:58 EDT