In response to the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico, an engineering professor has developed a technique for separating oil from water via a cotton filter coated in a chemical polymer that blocks oil while allowing water to pass through. The researcher reports that the filter was successfully tested off the coast of Louisiana and shown to simultaneously clean water and preserve the oil.
- Pitt researcher says simple polymer-based filter successfully cleans water, recovers oil in Gulf of Mexico testsMon, 7 Jun 2010, 13:18:06 EDT
- High-speed filter uses electrified nanostructures to purify water at low costTue, 31 Aug 2010, 9:23:07 EDT
- Electrified nano filter promises to cut costs for clean drinking waterWed, 13 Oct 2010, 13:36:29 EDT
- Electrified nano filter promises to cut costs for clean drinking waterThu, 2 Dec 2010, 13:06:14 EST
- Tiny bubbles clean oil from waterSun, 15 Nov 2009, 23:21:29 EST