Ancient instruments can be lost because they are too difficult to build, or too difficult to play, but they can be heard again thanks to the ASTRA (Ancient instruments Sound/Timbre Reconstruction Application) team. These researchers accomplish this feat using computer modeling and grid technology -- the shared resources of a distributed network of hundreds of computers.
- New MIT developments in quantum computingWed, 2 Mar 2011, 15:05:46 EST
- Sharing musical instruments means sharing germsThu, 12 May 2011, 14:35:43 EDT
- Computer model improves ultrasound imageTue, 4 Nov 2008, 12:24:20 EST
- Shifting sound to light may lead to better computer chipsMon, 16 Mar 2009, 14:10:54 EDT
- CT scan and 3-D print help scientists reconstruct an ancient molluskWed, 19 Sep 2012, 14:06:28 EDT