The potential role of periodontitis, an inflammatory disease of the gums, in the risk of cardiovascular disease, particularly ischemic stroke, has received growing attention during the last decade. A new study is the first prospective cohort study to use clinical measures of periodontitis to evaluate the association between this disease and the risk of cerebrovascular disease.
- Link found between history of periodontitis and cerebrovascular disease in menTue, 30 Jun 2009, 16:24:22 EDT
- Presence of gum disease may help dentists and physicians identify risk for cardiovascular diseaseTue, 25 Nov 2008, 11:23:00 EST
- Oral/body inflammatory connection explainedThu, 9 Jul 2009, 14:11:13 EDT
- Researchers report periodontal disease independently predicts new onset diabetesWed, 6 Aug 2008, 17:07:46 EDT
- Patients with moderate to severe periodontitis need evaluation for heart disease riskTue, 30 Jun 2009, 11:15:11 EDT