About one in 3,500 people are affected with retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a disease of the retina's visual cells that eventually leads to blindness. Now researchers have identified a genetic link between cats and humans for two different forms of RP. This discovery will help scientists develop gene-based therapies that will benefit both cats and humans.
- Cats' eye diseases genetically linked to diseases in humansWed, 4 Mar 2009, 12:37:38 EST
- Gene therapy research from Penn Vet & Scheie Eye Inst. cures retinitis pigmentosa in dogsMon, 23 Jan 2012, 21:33:25 EST
- Researchers find new insights into inherited retinal diseaseSun, 17 Jan 2010, 13:57:46 EST
- Progression of retinal disease linked to cell starvationSun, 7 Dec 2008, 13:37:03 EST
- Researchers genetically link Lou Gehrig's disease in humans to dog diseaseWed, 21 Jan 2009, 19:23:17 EST