For the first time, seismic signals that precede a volcanic eruption have been simulated and visualized in 3-D under controlled pressure conditions in a laboratory. The ability to conduct such simulations will better equip municipal authorities in volcanic hot spots around the world in knowing when to alert people who live near volcanoes of an impending eruption.
- No Redoubt: Volcanic eruption forecasting improvedMon, 29 Apr 2013, 17:03:16 EDT
- Oscillating 'plug' of magma causes tremors that forecast volcanic eruptions: UBC researchWed, 23 Feb 2011, 13:35:46 EST
- Autopsy of a eruption: Linking crystal growth to volcano seismicityThu, 24 May 2012, 17:24:14 EDT
- New insights into volcanic activity on the ocean floorWed, 16 Jun 2010, 13:34:44 EDT
- Potential Iceland eruption could pump acid into European airspaceTue, 12 Jun 2012, 21:33:40 EDT