Astronomers have discovered a new planet that is closely orbiting a red-giant star, HD 102272, which is much older than our own Sun. The planet has a mass that is nearly six times that of Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system. The research sheds light on the ways in which aging stars can influence nearby planets.
- Scientists discover new planet orbiting dangerously close to giant starTue, 18 Nov 2008, 14:52:25 EST
- Flipping hot JupitersWed, 11 May 2011, 16:56:52 EDT
- Planetary family portrait reveals another exoplanetWed, 8 Dec 2010, 14:37:39 EST
- Why some planets orbit the wrong way; extrasolar insights into our solar systemWed, 11 May 2011, 16:51:25 EDT
- More proof that new planet and star are moving togetherTue, 29 Jun 2010, 11:16:06 EDT